Search

Fire spotter's own home in flames

PUBLISHED: 12:24 05 March 2002 | UPDATED: 11:29 03 March 2010

FIREFIGHTERS were praised today after saving a 15th century Suffolk farm cottage from ruin after sparks from a wood burner set a chimney ablaze.

Homeowner Fred Pratt, 74, was working in neighbouring Whatfield when he spotted, thick black smoke clouding the sky – but little did he realise that the emergency was at his own home.

FIREFIGHTERS were praised today after saving a 15th century Suffolk farm cottage from ruin after sparks from a wood burner set a chimney ablaze.

Homeowner Fred Pratt, 74, was working in neighbouring Whatfield when he spotted, thick black smoke clouding the sky – but little did he realise that the emergency was at his own home.

So it was up to a Good Samaritan neighbour to warn wife Joan, 69, that their house was on fire.

The couple heaped praise on firefighters following the blaze at their wood-timbered home in Naughton, near Hadleigh.

"I was on my way back when my wife called. I had seen a lot of black smoke but I didn't realise it was my house on fire," said Mr Pratt.

"The firemen did a marvellous job. As they knocked the burning embers down the chimney there was a man with a bucket collecting it up and taking it outside. The only damage we got was a hole half way up the chimney on the outside."

Mrs Pratt told how a neighbour alerted her to the blaze shortly after 2.30pm yesterday.

"I was here but I didn't realise there was a fire. A neighbour and a friend came round and told me.

"I didn't panic when I saw it, although I was the only one here," said Mrs Pratt, who together with her husband owns arable farms in Whatfield, Nedging and Naughton.

Retained firefighters from Hadleigh and a crew from Princes Street station in Ipswich spent more than two hours at the scene.

A thermal imaging camera was used to locate the blaze deep within the chimney and a turntable ladder was brought in to give firefighters a platform to work from.

Officer in charge, ADO Gary Clark, confirmed that the blaze had been started by sparks from the wood burner setting fire to tar-like material which had built up inside the chimney.

The four bedroom cottage, off the B1078, sustained smoke damage to the first floor and loft.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star