Search

Fire victim taken to hospital

PUBLISHED: 11:53 12 October 2001 | UPDATED: 15:18 03 March 2010

A PARTIALLY sighted man was taken to hospital for the second time in two months after a blaze broke out in his Ipswich home.

The victim, who is believed to be in his 30s and to live alone, was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation following the cooker fire in a top-floor flat in Hawthorn Drive.

A PARTIALLY sighted man was taken to hospital for the second time in two months after a blaze broke out in his Ipswich home.

The victim, who is believed to be in his 30s and to live alone, was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation following the cooker fire in a top-floor flat in Hawthorn Drive.

The blaze struck just five weeks after arsonists targeted his home.

A charred curtain lay on the grass outside the property today and the windows were either boarded up or covered in thick soot as a result of the drama which started just after 7.30pm yesterday.

A neighbour, who asked not to be identified, told how he returned home at around 8pm to see the victim, who uses a white stick, sitting on wall outside the flat as paramedics wrapped him in a blanket before taking him to hospital.

Two fire engines attended the blaze which was dealt with in ten minutes.

"A few weeks ago, someone tried to set fire to the place," the neighbour said.

On September 3, a man was rescued from the same flat after a blaze broke out in the doorway of the same property. Firefighters fought flames on the doorstep as colleagues put a ladder up to the first floor window, smashed the glass and rescued the man choking inside.

Both the police and fire service believed the first fire was started deliberately.

Suffolk Fire Service is not treating last night's fire, which started in a pan on the cooker, as deliberate.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists