Firefighters busy after strike ends
BILLOWING smoke in his own home alerted one Suffolk man to a fire in his neighbours house at the weekend.It was one of two house fires in Ipswich tackled by back-at-work firefighters over the weekend.
BILLOWING smoke in his own home alerted one Suffolk man to a fire in his neighbours house at the weekend.
It was one of two house fires in Ipswich tackled by back-at-work firefighters over the weekend.
Firefighters were called to a house in Argyle Street, Ipswich, at 7.30pm on Saturday after Mecna Shehu saw smoke filling his upstairs rooms.
Mr Shehu managed to flag down a passing taxi and got the driver to call 999 before the blaze got out of control. Today the only reminder of the fire is the charred sofa strewn in the front garden and the boarded up door.
You may also want to watch:
"My smoke alarm went off but I just though it was going wrong at first. I didn't think it was anything but then I began to smell smoke as well.
"Then my lodger, who was sleeping, woke and said his room was filling with smoke.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 4 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 5 'Kind and caring' friend of the football community dies
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 9 Risk of thundery showers this evening, say forecasters
- 10 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
"I ran outside and flagged down a taxi and the driver phoned the emergency services. They were here very quickly and everything was under control in less than an hour," said Mr Shehu.
Two fire appliances from headquarters in Colchester Road and Princes Street went to the fire and breathing apparatus were worn.
Suffolk Fire Service confirmed that there were people in the house at the time of the blaze but no one was injured.
Fire crews were also called to a house in Dillwyn Street, Ipswich, at 7.18pm yesterday .
A bedroom fire which had spread from a gas heater was extinguished by 7.29pm.