Search

Firefighters save thatched home

PUBLISHED: 06:51 15 December 2001 | UPDATED: 11:02 03 March 2010

FIREFIGHTERS reacted quickly to stop a chimney fire destroying the thatched roof of a house in a quiet Suffolk village.

The blaze is thought to have begun from sparks from the chimney of Rose Cottage in Lower Street, Stutton, near Ipswich, shortly before 7pm yesterday.

FIREFIGHTERS reacted quickly to stop a chimney fire destroying the thatched roof of a house in a quiet Suffolk village.

The blaze is thought to have begun from sparks from the chimney of Rose Cottage in Lower Street, Stutton, near Ipswich, shortly before 7pm yesterday.

But around 20 firefighters from Holbrook and Ipswich stopped the blaze spreading from the area close to the chimney and there was minimal damage to the property.

The crews had the fire under control within 20 minutes but remained at the scene for some time to dampen down the thatch and make sure the blaze did not start again. Nobody was hurt in the blaze and there was no structural damage to the cottage.

Paul Seager, assistant divisional officer at Suffolk Fire Service, said: "It was basically a chimney fire with a small amount of sparks and flames spreading to the top of the thatch. We attacked it hard by swamping it with personnel and managed to save most of the roof."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ipswich Star