Firefighters tackle ammonia leak
FIREFIGHTERS tackled an ammonia leak which had sent a strong smell wafting over parts of Ipswich.The leak came from the former Harris Bacon Factory in Hadleigh Road, with first reports of the smell being made just before 9.
FIREFIGHTERS tackled an ammonia leak which had sent a strong smell wafting over parts of Ipswich.
The leak came from the former Harris Bacon Factory in Hadleigh Road, with first reports of the smell being made just before 9.30pm yesterday.
Fire crews, police and Environment Agency officials were called to the scene, and immediately set about trying to contain the leak.
At one stage, people in the Whitehouse area of the town – some distance away from Hadleigh Road – reported the smell of ammonia in the air. However, nobody was evacuated from their homes.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: "It is not causing any immediate danger to anybody. We are in consultation with the Environment Agency who are also on the scene."
It is believed the ammonia was dispersing safely into the air.
- 1 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 2 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 5 Big Hoot revealed as latest Ipswich art trail for 2022
- 6 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 7 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 8 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors