Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 11°C

Search

Firefighters tackle house blaze that started from dishwasher in Montague Road, Felixstowe

PUBLISHED: 09:42 10 November 2016 | UPDATED: 15:45 10 November 2016

On-call firefighters complete their training at RAF Wattisham.

On-call firefighters complete their training at RAF Wattisham.

Archant

Firefighters were called to a house fire in Felixstowe this morning which started from a dishwasher.

Police and fire crews from Ipswich East and Princes Street were called to Montague Road at 7.36am today, to reports of a first floor fire.

A Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said crews used two hose reel jets and a main jet to put out the flames by 8.52am.

No one is believed to have been inside at the time of the blaze.

Firefighters remained at the scene for more than two hours after the flames were put out to damp down hot spots and clear debris.

A statement from the fire service said: “This incident serves as a timely reminder about the dangers of leaving an electrical appliance on whilst the house is unattended – in this case a dishwasher.

“Despite the smoke alarm activating and alerting the next door neighbour who put the call in, this was a serious fire and has caused severe damage to the house and distress to the owners.

“The efficiency of the initial fire crews restricted fire damage to the room of origin and the room above, though there was thick smoke throughout the whole house which also filtered to the adjoining house next door.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists