Firefighters tackle Kesgrave garage blaze believed to have sparked in tumble dryer
PUBLISHED: 15:54 05 May 2017 | UPDATED: 22:02 05 May 2017
Fire chiefs are urging people to check their tumble dryers and washing machines are in good condition after a blaze destroyed a Kesgrave family’s garage.
Two teams of firefighters from Ipswich East and Princes Street were called to reports a fire had broken out at a home in Kinsey View on the Grange Farm estate at around 12.30pm today.
Flames were put out using hose reel jets but the garage was completely destroyed by the blaze.
A ground monitor was also used to help crews tackle the blaze.
Station commander Phil Geeson said early indications suggested the fire – which took nearly an hour to extinguish – had sparked in the tumble dryer.
He and his team will be conducting a full investigation now the fire is out.
Speaking at the scene, Mr Geeson said: “We would urge people to log onto the Trading Standards website and double check that their tumble dryers and other white goods are in good condition for their age.
“Early indications in this fire suggest that it started in the tumble dryer, and we’d like to communicate that warning to others to avoid future fires like this.
“There is a lot of smoke as you can see and the flames have picked up again – it’s a significant fire but we have it under control and expect to put it out in the next 20 minutes or so.
“We have two appliances here working hard to tackle it and our teams will be working to determine if the building is structurally safe.
“As you can see parts of it have already collapsed.”
Firefighters called a stop to the incident at around 1.30pm.
Click here for more information about how to check the safety of your white goods.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.