Fires lead to hefty damage bills
THOUSANDS of pounds of damage was caused to an Ipswich home after an electrical fault triggered a blaze. Firefighters were called to the terraced property in Ashley Street, at about 12.55pm on Saturday.
THOUSANDS of pounds of damage was caused to an Ipswich home after an electrical fault triggered a blaze.
Firefighters were called to the terraced property in Ashley Street, at about 12.55pm on Saturday.
A man living at the house, who did not wish to be named, said he heard the crackling of flames coming from an upstairs bedroom as he got out of the shower.
He said: “The fire investigation said it was an electrical fire but they couldn't pinpoint what caused it because there was too much damage.”
You may also want to watch:
A crew from the fire service's headquarters in Colchester Road and two from Princes Street used thermal imaging equipment to ensure the fire had not spread to neighbouring properties.
They brought the flames under control by 2pm.
- 1 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 2 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 7 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 8 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 9 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 10 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
Meanwhile the owner of a house damaged by a fire which swept through a teenage girl's bedroom said it would cost tens of thousands of pounds to repair the damage.
As reported in Saturday's Evening Star, the girl she was rescued from her blazing room after the fire took hold in the house in Broad Road, Wickham Market, at about 3.50am.
Five people were in the house at the time but all managed to get out without injury.
Assistant Divisional Officer Andy Nunn said it is believed the fire was started accidentally by a candle.
“It was lucky somebody in the lounge went into the room and woke her up and got her out.” He said.
The owner of the house, who did not wish to be named, was left to begin calculating the damage bill over the weekend but said it would cost thousands.
A caravan was destroyed by flames after an electrical fault triggered yet another blaze.
The vehicle, parked at a property in Bramford Road, Ipswich, was engulfed by fire at about 12.30pm on Friday.
The owner, 76-year-old Garth Hendy, said it was lucky the fire did not spread to his son's vehicle nearby.