Firm goes to great lengths for charity
GENEROUS staff at an Ipswich firm have helped raise thousands of pounds for Comic Relief after they gave up their time to take phone pledges.
GENEROUS staff at an Ipswich firm has helped raise thousands of pounds for Comic Relief after staff gave up their own time to take phone pledges.
Call Connection, based in Cromwell Square in the town centre, volunteered its services to receive donations from the UK public and took a total of £101,213 from 3,400 calls.
Nationwide the event took a staggering £40million which will go towards good causes in the UK and abroad.
Lizzie Parry, call transfer executive at Call connection, said: “With over 100 staff, friends and family volunteering their time, every effort was made to ensure as many calls were answered as possible when phone lines opened at 7pm.
You may also want to watch:
“Directors, IT staff, supervisors and senior management all took their turn manning the phones with donations averaging £18,401 per hour and ranging from £2.50 to a remarkable £1,200.
“Heart-warming stories behind the donations included one young boy pledging his entire £5 pocket money to the worthy cause.”
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 5 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 6 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
Throughout the evening Call Connection treated staff and guests to refreshments served by a team made up of call centre supervisors.
Meanwhile the fully stocked bar provided a steady stream of drinks ensuring a relaxed and fun atmosphere.
In addition to taking donations, Call Connection staff engaged in various fundraising efforts, raising more than £950 themselves.
On the evening the main event was the culmination of the week's voting to determine which members of the senior management team were to take a “custard challenge”.
Managing director Graeme Kalbraier topped the nominations and took bath of custard on the call centre floor.
Other members of staff followed suit during the evening.
Mr Kalbraier said: “The night was a real testament to the great team we have here at Call Connection.
“I'm proud of all who took part and the contribution we made to Comic Relief.”
Do you know someone who has done something special for charity? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com.