First stage of coastal scheme completed
BAWDSEY'S coastal regeneration scheme is underway with the first stage of the project now completed.The £200,000 project is jointly funded by Suffolk County Council and the East of England Development Agency.
BAWDSEY'S coastal regeneration scheme is underway with the first stage of the project now completed.
The £200,000 project is jointly funded by Suffolk County Council and the East of England Development Agency. It is aimed at boosting tourism in the area to benefit the local community and includes restoring the historic quay. Bawdsey Quay is at the southern most point of the Deben penninsula and is seen as a gateway to the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Works have recently been completed to improve car parking on the quay, providing spaces for the disabled, residents and visitors, as well as easier access to the beach.
The quay is part of both the Suffolk coast cycle route and the national cycle route and new cycle racks have been installed to reflect this.
You may also want to watch:
An official opening of the quay will take place on July 1 at 2.30pm, where the foot ferry will transport representatives of the organisations involved in the project from Felixstowe Ferry across to the new quayside.
County councillor, Peter Monk, said: "It's great to see the first stage of this project completed and I'm pleased to see the quay being transformed. The regeneration of the area will bring significant benefits to Bawdsey and the surrounding area which is a very attractive part of the county."
- 1 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 2 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 3 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 4 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 5 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 6 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
Joan Girling, member of Suffolk County Council's executive committee, added: "This area of the Suffolk coast is very popular and by regenerating Bawdsey Quay we hope to make it even more attractive to visitors. The economic benefit of the planned improvements will have a very positive impact on the local community and tourism in the area."
The second phase of the project will continue later this year. This includes providing additional tourist information and information on the history of the area.