First stage of coastal scheme completed
BAWDSEY'S coastal regeneration scheme is underway with the first stage of the project now completed.The £200,000 project is jointly funded by Suffolk County Council and the East of England Development Agency.
BAWDSEY'S coastal regeneration scheme is underway with the first stage of the project now completed.
The £200,000 project is jointly funded by Suffolk County Council and the East of England Development Agency. It is aimed at boosting tourism in the area to benefit the local community and includes restoring the historic quay. Bawdsey Quay is at the southern most point of the Deben penninsula and is seen as a gateway to the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Works have recently been completed to improve car parking on the quay, providing spaces for the disabled, residents and visitors, as well as easier access to the beach.
The quay is part of both the Suffolk coast cycle route and the national cycle route and new cycle racks have been installed to reflect this.
An official opening of the quay will take place on July 1 at 2.30pm, where the foot ferry will transport representatives of the organisations involved in the project from Felixstowe Ferry across to the new quayside.
County councillor, Peter Monk, said: "It's great to see the first stage of this project completed and I'm pleased to see the quay being transformed. The regeneration of the area will bring significant benefits to Bawdsey and the surrounding area which is a very attractive part of the county."
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
Joan Girling, member of Suffolk County Council's executive committee, added: "This area of the Suffolk coast is very popular and by regenerating Bawdsey Quay we hope to make it even more attractive to visitors. The economic benefit of the planned improvements will have a very positive impact on the local community and tourism in the area."
The second phase of the project will continue later this year. This includes providing additional tourist information and information on the history of the area.