Five arrested after Ipswich stabbing
FIVE people are in custody today after a man was stabbed in a town centre fight.Police today confirmed that five people have been arrested following the incident close to the Spread Eagle pub in Ipswich at 7.
FIVE people are in custody today after a man was stabbed in a town centre fight.
Police today confirmed that five people have been arrested following the incident close to the Spread Eagle pub in Ipswich at 7.45pm yesterday.
Paramedics took the man to Ipswich Hospital with stab wounds but a police spokesman said his injuries were not thought to be life threatening.
No-one else was believed to have been injured during the fight which saw Fore Street cordoned off from the junction of Orwell Place.
Despite the incident police today said that freezing temperatures and snow showers had led to the first weekend of late-licensed drinking in Ipswich being quieter than usual.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said last night was no different to any other Friday, despite pubs and clubs having the opportunity to open later.
- 1 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 4 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 5 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 6 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 7 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
He said: “It didn't really seem any different to any other Friday, in fact it seemed quieter than usual.
“I think the sub-zero temperatures meant people were not willing to hang around and just wanted to get home.”
A spokesman for the East Anglian Ambulance Trust said that crews attended three assaults in the town overnight.
Their first call was to Neptune Snooker Club, Fore Street, at 12.15am to attend to a girl who had been assaulted.
She was not badly injured and was not taken to hospital.
At 12.38am crews attended a 23-year-old man, in Packard Avenue, who had a suspected broken arm and was taken to Ipswich Hospital.
At 2.46am the service received a call about a 20-year-old man with minor head injuries in London Road, Ipswich. He was treated at the scene but did not need hospital treatment.
Police also arrested a man, who was believed to be in his 20s, at Ranelagh Road, on suspicion of drink driving following a single-car road accident at 4.45am today.
n. Were you involved in any of these incidents? Were you the victim in the town centre stabbing? Call the Evening Star news desk on 01473 324788.