Five remain in custody as Ipswich murder inquiry continues
PUBLISHED: 08:36 05 June 2018 | UPDATED: 10:03 05 June 2018
Five people remain in custody this morning following the fatal stabbing of a 17-year-old boy in Ipswich.
Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, of Pownall Road, died of his injuries after he was attacked in broad daylight on Saturday afternoon.
Four males, aged 16, 18, 20 and 22 (who all have links to Ipswich) remain in custody after being arrested yesterday on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
A 41-year-old man from the Ipswich area, who was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder on Saturday evening, also remains in custody.
Detectives made an application for a warrant of further detention at Ipswich Magistrates’ Court yesterday morning, where they were granted an additional 36 hours to question him. The extension will expire at just after 8pm this evening.
Last night, hundreds of people turned out for a public meeting held by Ipswich Borough Council to have their voices heard.
One of those who spoke at the meeting was just 10 years old.
The young boy told the audience “I’m scared”, before bursting into tears.
His mother, who picked up the microphone afterwards, told the crowd he had been scared to go to school that morning.
Responding to this, Suffolk police’s Assistant Chief Constable Rachel Kearton said she and officers in the area would make it safe.
Ms Kearton was joined at the meeting by Suffolk’s police and crime commissioner Tim Passmore, Ipswich council leader David Ellesmere, Ipswich MP Sandy Martin and former Ipswich mayor Sarah Barber, who led proceedings.
Tavis had been walking back from the shops in Queen’s Way when he was approached by two males on bicycles who attacked him.
They were then joined by four to five other males who further assaulted him, before all the offenders fled the scene.
Tavis was taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment where he later died.
Packard Avenue has now reopened after being closed while officers carried-out forensic enquiries.
Additional police patrols are continuing in the vicinity of the attack and across Ipswich to offer reassurance to residents, and officers are maintaining an ongoing dialogue with community leaders to address the concerns of people living and working in the area.
A police pod is in place near to the junction of Packard Avenue and King’s Way to enable members of the public to speak to police officers directly.
Heartfelt tributes have been left at the scene of the stabbing – including colourful flowers, balloons, photographs, notes and cards.
One letter pinned to a tree reads: “Rest up Big Boy. We all miss you so much we are praying for you. You were like an older cousin to me it’s unbelievable you’ve gone this quick R.I.P. It’s all so stupid it shouldn’t have been you.”
Officers are particularly appealing for anyone with CCTV, dash cams, or mobile phone footage, who were in the area of Queen’s Way, Packard Avenue, Rands Way or Kingsway, between 12pm and 7.45pm on Saturday, June 2 to make contact.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to contact the Major Investigation Team, preferably by uploading information to the online portal.
Or, if that is not possible, call police on 101 and quoting reference 30192/18.
Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.