Five years detention for Ipswich teenager who robbed 81-year-old

Ticu Bahica who has been given five years detention for his part in robbing an 81-year-old man in Ip

Ticu Bahica who has been given five years detention for his part in robbing an 81-year-old man in Ipswich. Picutre; SUFFOLK CONSTABULARY - Credit: SUFFOLK CONSTABULARY

A teenager who was part of a gang that robbed an 81-year-old man after forcing their way into his Ipswich home while he was watching television has been locked up for five years.

During the victim’s 90 minute ordeal he was subjected to a form of interrogation by having a torch shone into his eyes and he also had a knife held at his throat, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

The former chef was watching television at his home in Handford Road, Ipswich, at about 11pm on August 23 when he answered a knock at the door, thinking it might concern an earlier gas leak.

Seeing three men he immediately tried to shut the door but one of them put his foot in the way and the elderly victim was shoved out of the way as they forced their way in to his home, said Andrew Jackson, prosecuting.

The intruders switched the lights off in the living room and while the victim was sitting on a sofa a torch was shone in his eyes and demands for money were made.

A search was made of every room in the house and one of the men held a kitchen knife in a sheath at the victim’s neck.

Following the discovery of the victim’s wallet and bank card he was asked for his PIN which he refused to give them.

Most Read

He agreed to go to a cashpoint to withdraw £100 for them and was escorted by two of the men to the nearby Sainsbury’s store.

Mr Jackson said that during the journey the victim had to stop for a rest and one of the men had offered to carry him but this was refused.

Back at the house the £100 was taken from the victim’s pocket and after the men left he contacted the police.

Before the court today (Thurs) was Ticu Bahica, 18, of Reavell Place, Ipswich, who admitted robbing the victim of cash, tobacco, a shaver, a cheque and a mobile phone.

He was sentenced to five years youth detention.

Joanne Eley, for Bahica, said he was only 17 at the time of the offence and had been drinking on the night in question.

He accepted searching the house and being one of the men who took the victim to the cashpoint.

“He is hugely remorseful,” said Miss Eley.