Search

Flats evacuated after gas leak found

PUBLISHED: 12:04 03 March 2002 | UPDATED: 11:29 03 March 2010

FLATS in Haverhill were evacuated this morning after fire damaged a gas mains causing a leak.

Suffolk Fire Service were originally called to a wheelie bin fire at Falcon Close in the Bird Estate at around 1.

FLATS in Haverhill were evacuated this morning after fire damaged a gas mains causing a leak.

Suffolk Fire Service were originally called to a wheelie bin fire at Falcon Close in the Bird Estate at around 1.50am.

They soon realised the fire had damaged the gas mains and six flats were evacuated.

The fire was brought under control while they waited for Transco to repair the leak.

There was some damage to the side of the property.

Meanwhile the fire service were kept busy in the rest of Suffolk with a spate of small fires throughout the county.

In Leiston a chimney fire broke out at around 5.20pm in Kings Road yesterday. This was brought under control just after 6pm.

In Lowestoft a small patch of undergrowth caught fire in Crest View Drive and in Ixworth fire crews were called to a bonfire at around 6.30pm.

Fire broke out on a field in Stowmarket just after 3pm yesterday where a small area of grass was alight.

Meanwhile in Lowestoft at The Ham bushes and grass caught fire at around 2.40pm yesterday.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star