Flats evacuated after gas leak found

FLATS in Haverhill were evacuated this morning after fire damaged a gas mains causing a leak.Suffolk Fire Service were originally called to a wheelie bin fire at Falcon Close in the Bird Estate at around 1.

By Victoria Knowles

FLATS in Haverhill were evacuated this morning after fire damaged a gas mains causing a leak.

Suffolk Fire Service were originally called to a wheelie bin fire at Falcon Close in the Bird Estate at around 1.50am.

They soon realised the fire had damaged the gas mains and six flats were evacuated.

The fire was brought under control while they waited for Transco to repair the leak.

There was some damage to the side of the property.

Most Read

Meanwhile the fire service were kept busy in the rest of Suffolk with a spate of small fires throughout the county.

In Leiston a chimney fire broke out at around 5.20pm in Kings Road yesterday. This was brought under control just after 6pm.

In Lowestoft a small patch of undergrowth caught fire in Crest View Drive and in Ixworth fire crews were called to a bonfire at around 6.30pm.

Fire broke out on a field in Stowmarket just after 3pm yesterday where a small area of grass was alight.

Meanwhile in Lowestoft at The Ham bushes and grass caught fire at around 2.40pm yesterday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter