Flats go up in flames
TWENTY firefighters tackled a blaze at a derelict block of flats in Ipswich today when a suspicious fire broke out.Emergency services were called to the Clumpfield flats, in Cambridge Drive, at 3.
TWENTY firefighters tackled a blaze at a derelict block of flats in Ipswich today when a suspicious fire broke out.
Emergency services were called to the Clumpfield flats, in Cambridge Drive, at 3.15pm today to the fire which had broken out in the stairwell of the building.
The block, which contains 30 bedsits and has been closed since 2000, has metal boards on its windows and doors but it is thought to be used by youngsters playing in the area.
Raglan Housing Association are thought to be the owners of the property which was 20 per cent affected by the fire.
Assistant divisional officer, Ian Boswell, said: “Two appliances from Princes Street station initially attended the fire but when they arrived they called for back up from another ten firefighters.
The fire had broken out in the stairwell which leads on to the blocks of living accommodation.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 7 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
“We were unsure if there was anyone inside and so used a thermal imaging camera to check the building straight away.
“We then had to check again ourselves.”
The fire is being treated as suspicious and an investigation will be carried out to see how it started.
A nearby resident said: “The block has been closed for years and is a growing eyesore.
“It is often used by youngsters looking for somewhere to play.”
The fire was put out by 4.30pm.