Football thug who threatened OAP banned
AN Ipswich Town fan is today banned from going to football matches after admitting threatening an opposition supporter. Robert Reed was punished for his behaviour with a banning order which prevents him from attending any games in the UK for the next three years.
AN Ipswich Town fan is today banned from going to football matches after admitting threatening an opposition supporter.
Robert Reed was punished for his behaviour with a banning order which prevents him from attending any games in the UK for the next three years.
The 30-year-old, of Malvern Close, Ipswich, was sentenced at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court last month.
The offence took place after Ipswich's home defeat to Watford on February 9.
Reed was identified after CCTV footage was examined, which showed him threatening an elderly Watford supporter.
- 1 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 2 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 4 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 5 Cricket club praises ambulance service after player collapses in the field
- 6 Travellers move on from Chantry Park in Ipswich
- 7 'Incredibly proud': 11-year-old saves classmate choking on chicken nugget
- 8 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 9 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 10 Peregrine falcon put down after being illegally trapped and shot in Suffolk
He was arrested at 6.30am on Feb 19 at his home and was subsequently charged with using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour.
Along with the banning order, Reed was also given a 12-month community order and was ordered to carry out 80 hours unpaid work in the community.
He was told to pay £60 towards court costs.
Soon after the match, several Watford fans contacted The Evening Star, claiming trouble had flared as supporters filed out of Portman Road.
At the time, an Ipswich Town spokesman said: “Ipswich Town Football Club operates a zero tolerance policy with regards to violence.
“We will take any steps that are necessary to work with the police if asked to, to help bring any offenders to justice.”
Another man who was arrested in connection with an alleged incident at the same match has been charged.
Trevor Green, 28, of Blickling Close, Ipswich, faces an allegation of affray and will appear at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court on March 26.
Two other men who were arrested in connection to disturbances at the match have been told no further action will be taken against them.