Force feels pressure of language police
BOSSES at Suffolk police have bowed to pressure from a language watchdog to cut out the “ludicrous ploddledygook” in their senior officer titles.It is understood the force is to re-brand Knowledge Architecture the Department of Information, Communication and Technology, putting them in sync with their Norfolk colleagues.
BOSSES at Suffolk police have bowed to pressure from a language watchdog to cut out the “ludicrous ploddledygook” in their senior officer titles.
It is understood the force is to re-brand Knowledge Architecture the Department of Information, Communication and Technology, putting them in sync with their Norfolk colleagues.
But the name will live on as they are not expected to change all the department badges due to cost.
It comes after The Plain English Campaign urged them and other forces to go back to basics after criticising their unusual choice of language, as revealed in The Evening Star yesterday.
They said they are seeing too many examples of police forces being “customer-led”, having “mission statements”, giving officers “ludicrous job titles” and “pointlessly stating the blindingly obvious”, labelling the language as ploddleygook.
Some of the roles called into question include: Head of Citizen Focus - oversees the areas of the Constabulary that communicate with people who need police help, whether they are reporting an emergency to the operations room, receiving help as either victims of or witnesses to crime or need advice on crime prevention.
- 1 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 2 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 4 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 5 Cricket club praises ambulance service after player collapses in the field
- 6 Travellers move on from Chantry Park in Ipswich
- 7 'Incredibly proud': 11-year-old saves classmate choking on chicken nugget
- 8 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 9 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 10 Peregrine falcon put down after being illegally trapped and shot in Suffolk
Director of Knowledge Architecture - The head of the information technology department. They have responsibility for all the Constabulary's computer and radio systems.
Head of Protective Services - includes protecting children and vulnerable adults, managing sex offenders, investigating major crime (including murder and rape), investigating organised crime (including drug criminality, money laundering, firearms offences and counter terrorism), the policing of Suffolk's roads and emergency planning.