Force feels pressure of language police
BOSSES at Suffolk police have bowed to pressure from a language watchdog to cut out the “ludicrous ploddledygook” in their senior officer titles.It is understood the force is to re-brand Knowledge Architecture the Department of Information, Communication and Technology, putting them in sync with their Norfolk colleagues.
BOSSES at Suffolk police have bowed to pressure from a language watchdog to cut out the “ludicrous ploddledygook” in their senior officer titles.
It is understood the force is to re-brand Knowledge Architecture the Department of Information, Communication and Technology, putting them in sync with their Norfolk colleagues.
But the name will live on as they are not expected to change all the department badges due to cost.
It comes after The Plain English Campaign urged them and other forces to go back to basics after criticising their unusual choice of language, as revealed in The Evening Star yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
They said they are seeing too many examples of police forces being “customer-led”, having “mission statements”, giving officers “ludicrous job titles” and “pointlessly stating the blindingly obvious”, labelling the language as ploddleygook.
Some of the roles called into question include: Head of Citizen Focus - oversees the areas of the Constabulary that communicate with people who need police help, whether they are reporting an emergency to the operations room, receiving help as either victims of or witnesses to crime or need advice on crime prevention.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
Director of Knowledge Architecture - The head of the information technology department. They have responsibility for all the Constabulary's computer and radio systems.
Head of Protective Services - includes protecting children and vulnerable adults, managing sex offenders, investigating major crime (including murder and rape), investigating organised crime (including drug criminality, money laundering, firearms offences and counter terrorism), the policing of Suffolk's roads and emergency planning.