Days Gone By: Remembering the traditional trading of two popular shops
- Credit: Archant
Two department shops in Fore Street, Ipswich, trading in a way of shopping now mostly lost, were H and R Sneezum and Martin and Newby, writes David Kindred.
They were both staffed with expert counter staff who knew their trade. There was no self service, everybody was dealt with individually.
For over a century the Sneezum family ran pawn brokers shops in Ipswich. In 1925 there were four members of the family working at different sites. Arthur in Norwich Road, Raymond in Elm Street, William at 14-20 Fore Street and Henry at 89-91 Fore Street. By the late 1940s the pawn broker trade was largely a thing of the past and Sneezums moved “up market” as jewellers and goldsmiths.
In the 1950s Henry and Raymond became dealers in cameras and photographic equipment, sports outfitters and dealers in tools and musical instruments, at their shop at the corner of Fore Street and Lower Orwell Street.
Martin and Newby’s Fore Street shop, on the other side of Lower Orwell Street, was opened in September 1873 by John Martin. He employed his nephew Frederick Newby. Mr Martin died in 1885 and Mr Newby took over the business. In 1897 the shop was demolished and a new shop built on the site. Mr Newby died in 1933 and generations of the Atkinson family ran the business, but retained the Martin and Newby name. The business extended during the twentieth century into Orwell Place. It closed in 2004.
Do you remember these two popular shops? To submit a letter, write to David Kindred, Days Gone By, Ipswich Star/EADT, Portman House, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, IP1 1RS or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org