Former Ipswich Voice singer Jade MayJean prepares to release debut album this month
- Credit: Archant
Three years after impressing some of the biggest names in pop on tv show The Voice Ipswich Singer Jade MayJean is preparing to release her first album.
The 25-year-old had previously taken part in the reality singing show, back in 2014 and had been picked for Australian pop singer Kylie Minogue’s team before being knocked out just before the live rounds.
Since then Jade has been performing across the country with her band at gigs and festivals covering everything from dance tracks to 90s pop but now she’s ready to launch her own sound onto the music scene.
The former Northgate High School pupil has been working for just over a year to get her album just right for its official launch this month.
“I am so excited,” said Jade, “it’s been a long time coming.”
You may also want to watch:
Jade describes the album, called 20SIXTY, as having a distinctively 60s vibe with a modern twist.
“It goes really well with my voice,” said Jade.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 9 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 10 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
“I think a lot of people have been waiting for me to release something but I didn’t want to rush it.”
“She’s found her own way,” said Jade’s mum Susanna, “I am so happy for her.”
Jade had been offered deals elsewhere but decided that she wanted more of a say in how her own career progressed.
“She’s such a creative girl,” said Susanna, “It’s been such a struggle for her to do it but she’s done it all on her own.”
Jade is now signed to Stowmarket based GingerDog Records who have produced the new album.
Jade has been writing songs since she was 14 but said that working with the label had helped her to settle on the sort of music she wanted to make and had made the process easier.
“Finding somebody you gel with , that is a massive part of writing.”
Of all the tracks on her new album Jade says that it is ‘Let Me Down’ that she was particularly pleased with.
“It’s just quite catchy, a lot of people can relate to it.”
With her debut album only weeks away most would be thinking of taking a break instead Jade is already thinking about her follow up album.
“I just love being busy,” said Jade.
20SIXTY is released on April 20, a launch party for the album in Ipswich is already sold out.