Former teacher faces another sex charge
A FORMER music teacher who faces accusations of gross indecency and indecent assault on boys has been charged with a fresh allegation.Earlier this year Derek Cable, 62, of Edgecomb Road, Stowmarket, a former teacher at Stowmarket Middle School and vice president of the Suffolk Concert Band, was charged with two allegations of indecency on a boy under 16.
A FORMER music teacher who faces accusations of gross indecency and indecent assault on boys has been charged with a fresh allegation.
Earlier this year Derek Cable, 62, of Edgecomb Road, Stowmarket, a former teacher at Stowmarket Middle School and vice president of the Suffolk Concert Band, was charged with two allegations of indecency on a boy under 16.
In August he was charged with seven more charges relating to five other alleged victims.
Yesterday, St Edmundsbury magistrates heard Cable had this week been charged with a further allegation. It is claimed that between September 1, 1970, and August 1, 1971 he indecently assaulted a boy aged under 16 at Rattlesden.
Cable, who was arrested in April when he returned to Suffolk from his home in Singapore for a band reunion, was excused from attending yesterday's court hearing.
At an earlier hearing he pleaded not guilty to the initial two charges and the seven brought in August. He has not yet entered a plea on the latest accusation.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 7 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 8 How it all unfolded, as Witches snatch dramatic victory
- 9 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 10 Did you stop for a pint in one of these Foxhall Road pubs?
The two original charges – one of gross indecency and one of indecent assault on the same boy – are alleged to have taken place in 1982 in Rattlesden.
The seven charges brought in August – five of indecent assault and two of committing an act of gross indecency – related to five other alleged victims, two of whom were aged under 16 at the time.
It is claimed the alleged offences took place between 1970 and 1986 in the Stowmarket area.
Magistrates yesterday adjourned the case until October 31 to the same court. They extended Cable's bail on condition the £100,000 he put down as a security remained on deposit, resided at the house he owned in Edgecomb Road, did not contact prosecution witnesses and reported to Stowmarket police once a week.
He has also had to surrender his passport and is not allowed to apply for travel documents and cannot travel outside the jurisdiction of the court.
His trial is expected to be heard at Ipswich or Bury St Edmunds Crown Crown Court.