Four fire engines sent after caller spots smoke coming from top of Sailmakers in Ipswich
- Credit: Su Anderson
Firefighters were called to Sailmakers shopping centre in Tavern Street tonight to reports someone had seen smoke coming from the top of the building.
Four fire engines were sent to the scene after being informed of the sighting shortly after 11pm today.
Two crews each from Ipswich East fire station and Princes Street were dispatched to investigate.
On arrival they could not see signs of a blaze so went inside the building using the Tavern Street entrance - where the smoke had been spotted - to access the roof.
Fire officers at the scene reported that they could not see any signs of a fire after conducting a thorough search of the building.
You may also want to watch:
A stop was called to the incident shortly before 11.45pm.
A fire spokesman said: “Crews were called to reports of smoke coming from the roof of Sailmakers at the Tavern Street entrance.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 9 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
“Four units were sent and they have all now left the scene.
“They did not find any trace of a fire but the large number of vehicles was in response to the type of building.”