Four fire engines sent after caller spots smoke coming from top of Sailmakers in Ipswich
- Credit: Su Anderson
Firefighters were called to Sailmakers shopping centre in Tavern Street tonight to reports someone had seen smoke coming from the top of the building.
Four fire engines were sent to the scene after being informed of the sighting shortly after 11pm today.
Two crews each from Ipswich East fire station and Princes Street were dispatched to investigate.
On arrival they could not see signs of a blaze so went inside the building using the Tavern Street entrance - where the smoke had been spotted - to access the roof.
Fire officers at the scene reported that they could not see any signs of a fire after conducting a thorough search of the building.
A stop was called to the incident shortly before 11.45pm.
A fire spokesman said: “Crews were called to reports of smoke coming from the roof of Sailmakers at the Tavern Street entrance.
- 1 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 2 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 3 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 4 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 5 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 6 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 7 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 8 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 9 Baby Elsie in ship-shape despite dramatic birth in car at Sutton Hoo
- 10 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
“Four units were sent and they have all now left the scene.
“They did not find any trace of a fire but the large number of vehicles was in response to the type of building.”