Four friends in drink-fuelled Ipswich brawl end up in court after turning on each other

Four friends appeared at

Four friends appeared at - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

Four friends ended up in court after a drink-fuelled falling out left them brawling with each other in Ipswich town centre.

The early-morning fracas led to Ashley Abbott, of Boyton Road; Adam Burt, of Kingsway; Marcus Killett, of Clifford Road; and Keiron Robus, of Derwent Road; all in Ipswich, appearing before the town’s magistrates.

Standing side-by-side in the dock the quartet – who have since apologised to each other – pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour on June 26.

The brawl left Robus, 23, feeling concussed and with dental injuries, and Killett, 24, concussed and requiring six stitches.

Prosecutor Colette Harper said the fight in Lower Brook Street, which involved five people in the same group, was captured on CCTV.

Footage showed Burt and the fifth member of the group having a conversation with each other. Burt, 21, then became the main aggressor.

Killett tried to prevent any fighting but punches were exchanged between him, Burt, Robus and the fifth man. All four ended up on the ground.

Most Read

Mrs Harper said the others got up but Robus could be seen laying motionless on the floor.

Abbott, 23, then came up behind Killett and delivered what the court heard was a ‘left-handed haymaker-type punch’ to Killett, knocking him to the ground.

Magistrates were told that with Killett motionless Robus got up and stamped on his head and arms. He then threw a punch towards Burt.

Police arrived and all five people were arrested. Jeremy Kendall, for Robus, said since the brawl the defendants had made their peace with each other.

Robus believed he sustained some degree of concussion and attributed his attack on Killett to being drunk and feeling dizzy. He also stressed it was out of character.

Mr Kendall said Robus was shocked and appalled when he saw the CCTV footage and has since apologised to Killett.

Representing himself, Killett told the court: “It was just a drunken dispute. I don’t think anyone out of all of us knows why it happened. They are all my friends. Everyone regrets what happened.”

Burt, also representing himself, said: “It’s so out of character for all of us. I don’t want to use drink as an excuse but it wouldn’t have happened if drink wasn’t involved. I’m sincerely sorry for what happened. I’m not a fighter at all.”

Abbott told the court: “We are all good friends. We all spoke to each other the day we got out of the cells and all apologised.”

All four defendants must pay £295 in court costs. Abbott, Killett and Burt were given a 12-month community order with 120 hours’ unpaid work. Robus, due to work commitments, was given a 10-week curfew.

The fifth member of the group denied the charge. His trial will be held on August 25.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter