Four held in drug raids after brawls in Clarkson Street and Wilberforce Street, Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Four people were arrested in drug raids carried out at six premises in the Wilberforce Street and Clarkson Street areas of Ipswich yesterday.
The raids came after a woman told how she was caught up in one of two street brawls in six days between weapon-wielding young men.
One of the males brandished an axe, while others had lumps of wood and masonry was hurled.
Yesterday afternoon’s arrests bring the total to 11 after seven people were detained last week.
Natalie Doughty, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said a 39-year-old woman, a 44-year-old man, and a 22-year-old man – all from Ipswich - were detained on suspicion of drug offences.
A 28-year-old man from Watford was also arrested in the raids. He was detained on suspicion of money laundering.
After being questioned the suspect was released on bail until December 17.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 4 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 5 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 6 Teenage moped driver arrested in Ipswich after failing drug test
- 7 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 8 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 9 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 10 Mum's food saving mission rehomes 1,500 sausage rolls and cuts monthly bill
Previously one resident claimed to have seen drugs being openly sold on the corner of Clarkson Street and Wilberforce Street at breakfast time.
She also said was walking in Clarkson Street at around 2.30pm on September 23 when violence erupted between 15 to 20 young men.
“They were fighting between themselves. They used stones (masonry) from the walls. I saw one with an axe in his hand and others with big sticks. Things were flying through the air.
“They were screaming and running. I was in the middle of it with my shopping.
“I just had to walk near to a house to protect myself. I was completely scared.”
Although the groups involved in the fighting in Clarkson Street, and in Wilberforce Street on Tuesday last week, dispersed before a heavy police presence arrived, seven arrests were subsequently made including five males from the London area aged between 15 and 19.
Six of those held were in relation to drug offences.
They are currently on police bail until December.
After a separate arrest a 20-year-old male from Ipswich was charged with possession of an offensive weapon in public.