Four in court on people smuggling charge
FOUR foreign nationals accused of trafficking people into the UK through a Suffolk marina are to appear before an Ipswich judge.Frenchman Hussain Abid, 31, Dutchmen Ludwig Kwarten, 26, and Johan Hoekstra, 25.
FOUR foreign nationals accused of trafficking people into the UK through a Suffolk marina are to appear before an Ipswich judge.
Frenchman Hussain Abid, 31, Dutchmen Ludwig Kwarten, 26, and Johan Hoekstra, 25, were charged with bringing illegal immigrants to the UK on July 12 this year.
South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court committed the case for trial at Ipswich Crown Court on October 11.
Previous courts had heard how the team was arrested after police stopped a van on the A12 in Capel St Mary on July 12. The arrests followed an operation by the Aldeburgh lifeboat to tow the yacht, Pim, into Shotley Marina.
You may also want to watch:
All three were subsequently charged with aiding and abetting the entry of illegal immigrants Appearing at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court. No pleas were entered and all three were remanded in custody until October 11. Devnderjit Singh of Kent had already been granted bail until the same date.
- 1 Anger as 'selfish' fly-tippers dump couch in Ipswich street
- 2 Man arrested over Cardinal Park stabbing
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Seafront theatre set for big improvements and balcony dining
- 6 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 7 Warning of lightning strikes across Suffolk as stormy weather continues
- 8 Ipswich man in court accused of setting light to car
- 9 26 valuable coins you might have at home
- 10 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?