Fresh bid to build on former hospital site
A second bid for planning permission to build nearly 230 new homes on the site of the former St Clement’s Hospital site in Ipswich is set to be discussed next week.
A similar application was turned down by the borough council last year over concerns that the developers were not proposing to build enough “social” homes for rent.
But the new application has seen the proportion of social homes proposed increase to 20% of the total – and that has prompted planning officers to urge approval for the proposal.
The application is for the conversion of the Victorian former hospital building into 48 flats and maisonettes.
Modern extensions to the building would be demolished.
A further 179 new homes would be built in the grounds of the former hospital. The development would not affect the neighbouring golf club, but would include replacement of some of the other sports facilities at the site and the refurbishment of the St Clement’s Social Club.
The developer would also be required to pay more than £1million for new school provision in the area and to pay for improvements to public transport and cycle provision in the area.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 4 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 5 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 6 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 7 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 8 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
The application is due to be discussed by Ipswich Borough Council’s planning and development committee at Grafton House on Wednesday morning.
For more housing news, or to search for a house in Suffolk, visit our property page