Fresh bid to save Victorian station
Campaigners hoping to save the Victorian Trimley railway station from the bulldozers today appealed to the owners for more time to put together a rescue project.
TRIMLEY: Campaigners hoping to save the Victorian Trimley railway station from the bulldozers today appealed to the owners for more time to put together a rescue project.
A Friends of Trimley Station group is calling for Network Rail to delay its December 31 demolition deadline.
“Many high profile groups and organisations have got involved to show their support for the station's preservation,” said Suffolk Coastal cabinet member Andy Smith.
“The bid to save the station has proven to be a cause that many are enthusiastic about and it would be a great shame to see a long-standing local landmark disappear.
“We appreciate that Network Rail may find it unviable to maintain an empty building but that is why we are working hard to find an appropriate alternative use for it that will benefit the local community.”
English Heritage, The Victorian Society, SAVE Britain's Heritage, Felixstowe Society and Ipswich Society are among a range of organisations which have sent letters objecting to the demolition.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 5 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 6 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 9 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 10 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
A number of developers have shown interest in the building, indicating many possible alternative uses of the site.
Previous suggestions for the site have included business offices, internet caf�, arts centre, small retail centre and a visitor centre for the near by Trimley Nature Reserve.
Network Rail says the building needs �100,000 spent on it and is too dangerous to leave standing.
What would you like to see the station become? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org