Fresh police appeal over ‘horrific’ rape which saw woman left unconscious in Ipswich’s Rope Walk
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
Detectives investigating a rape in Ipswich say they have received a “good response” from the public after visiting hundreds of homes and businesses.
They are now following up a number of lines of inquiry – just a day after releasing CCTV images of two men they want to trace in connection with the incident.
Police believe the rape happened on Saturday between 3.10am and 3.30am.
The victim, a woman in her late 20s, was approached from behind by two unknown men who covered her mouth.
She was forced into a nearby car park and raped in an attack which is thought to have lasted several minutes.
You may also want to watch:
The men ran away leaving their victim unconscious and with significant injuries to her face and neck which required hospital treatment.
Detective Superintendent Eamonn Bridger said the woman had been followed “for some distance” from the town centre – but stressed such incidents were “very rare”.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 5 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 6 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 7 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 8 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 9 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 10 HSBC announces temporary closure of Ipswich branch
“This was a despicable, sustained sexual attack by two unknown individuals on an innocent young woman, who has been left traumatised and with significant injuries as a result of their actions,” he said.
“We have visited over 200 residential and business premises speaking to potential witnesses and are working through CCTV.
“We are totally committed to identifying these men and bringing them to justice. We have released images of those who we urgently need to speak to in relation to the offence.
“These men are still out there which is why it is so important for people to take the time to look at the images.
“I am confident that if people who know them view the images they will be able to put names to those faces.”
Of the victim’s condition he added: “The victim is making good progress, she has been incredibly brave.
“She has been working with our officers and has a good support network around her. We will continue to work with her through this difficult time.”
Officers are particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have private CCTV or dash cam footage of the area from around the time of the attack.
If you can help call 101, visit the Crimestoppers website or call 0800 555111.