Friend fined after removing his seriously injured mate’s bike and helmet cam after Ipswich crash

The scene of a serious crash involving a motorbike and a parked car in Heatherhayes, Ipswich. Pictur

The scene of a serious crash involving a motorbike and a parked car in Heatherhayes, Ipswich. Picture: MATT STOTT - Credit: Archant

A 22-year-old man freewheeled away his friend’s motorcycle after he sustained life-changing injuries in a crash and then refused to tell police where it was, a court has heard.

Thomas Porter went to the scene of the collision in Heatherhayes, Ipswich, just before noon on August 2.

He removed the bike and his friend’s helmet with a camera on while the biker was on the ground groaning in agony.

Porter - who gave a care of Burrell Road, Ipswich, address - when he appeared before Ipswich magistrates admitted obstructing police, driving a motor vehicle without insurance and a proper licence, and using a mobile phone while driving a motor vehicle.

Prosecutor Tess Mann said somebody known to the police was involved in a crash with a stationary car and sustained severe injuries.

While paramedics were treating the casualty Porter walked towards the rider, spoke to him briefly, and then stood the motorbike up before trying to start it.

The rider’s helmet had a camera on it which was recording.

Most Read

It filmed a paramedic telling Porter not to take the bike.

However, he picked up the helmet and tells paramedics the bike needs to be removed because the police were coming.

Porter straddled the bike and freewheeled down the hill.

He could be seen speaking on his mobile while doing so.

Porter parked the bike beside a block of flats before returning to the scene of the crash and then refusing to tell an officer where the bike was.

While being arrested he tried to pass his sister what he said was a mobile phone, but was actually the helmet camera.

Porter has previous convictions and was sentenced to four months’ imprisonment at Liverpool Crown Court last year for producing cannabis.

Porter, representing himself, said the last thing his friend would have wanted was for his bike to be seized by police.

Porter said of his friend: “He ain’t going to be getting on a bike again.

“He’s not in a good way.”

Magistrates told Porter he must pay a total of £350 in fines and costs. His licence was endorsed with six penalty points.

It is understood the motorcyclist remains in hospital with a serious back injury, which may well be life-changing.