Fuchsia fans buzz into Felixstowe
FUCHSIA fans from far and wide are set to descend on Felixstowe this weekend for a fantasia of flowers.The elegant fuchsia, one of summer's most beautiful and much-loved flowers, is one of the top "hobby plants" with more than 10,000 different varieties.
By Richard Cornwell
FUCHSIA fans from far and wide are set to descend on Felixstowe this weekend for a fantasia of flowers.
The elegant fuchsia, one of summer's most beautiful and much-loved flowers, is one of the top "hobby plants" with more than 10,000 different varieties.
Around 1,000 of those are expected to be on display at the Felixstowe Fuchsia Festival, the "must" event of the year for anyone interested in the plant.
You may also want to watch:
Last year the two-day event – which is held at Orwell High School, Maidstone Road – attracted thousands of admirers from all over Britain, and also Holland, Germany and America.
The organisers make full use of the school and halls and corridors, classrooms, stages and stairwells, will be bursting with shades of red, pink and purple.
- 1 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 3 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 4 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 5 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 6 Rushmere man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 7 Man charged with assault after police officer punched in the face
- 8 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
- 9 Suspect in Victoria Hall murder case still being questioned by police
- 10 Go-ahead secured for new hotel near Ipswich Town ground
Not just plants will be on show, but many things fuchsia – with a chance to see paintings, embroidery, pottery and many other crafts featuring the flowers, Advice from surgeries on growing problems and varieties will also be available.
There will also be trade stands, plant sales, and growing demonstrations, and a chance to see the permanent hardy fuchsia beds – part of the national collection of plants and flowers –in the school grounds.
It is the 24th annual event organised by the Felixstowe and District Fuchsia
Society and will be open from 10.30am to 5pm on Saturday August 17 and 10am to 4pm on Sunday August 18. Admission is £1; parking free.
British Fuchsia Society – www.thebfs.org.uk
Fuchsia Research International – www.FuchsiaResInt.org