Cinemas in Bury St Edmunds, Stowmarket and Ipswich boosted by funding awards
- Credit: Rachel Edge
Cinemas in the region are benefitting from more than half-a-million-pounds of culture funding - including Abbeygate Cinema in Bury St Edmunds with a £175,000 chunk.
The money from the second round of the government's Culture Recovery Fund is to support arts organisations to reopen and welcome audiences and visitors back.
Cinemas in the East of England will receive £590,081, with Abbeygate Cinema seeing a substantial award of £175,978.
The Regal Theatre in Stowmarket is getting £80,340 from the second round of the Culture Recovery Fund, while Film Theatre in Ipswich has been granted £2,823.
Ben Roberts, chief executive of the British Film Institute, said: "People have been missing the big screen experience and we know they are looking forward to cinemas being able to reopen from 17 May onwards.
You may also want to watch:
"The Culture Recovery Fund has been a lifeline to survival for local independent cinemas up and down the country, ensuring that they will be able to welcome their audiences back.
"In bringing the latest films from blockbusters to British films and new discoveries from around the world as well as screen classics, the local ‘cinema paradiso’ is often the only form of culture and entertainment in their area and are vital to their communities.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 4 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Ipswich paedophile jailed for downloading indecent images of boys
- 6 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
- 7 Man who spat at neighbour in racist attack given community order
- 8 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 9 Drink-driver reversed into car while banned from the road
- 10 Car ends up on side after crash involving parked car
"We need them back and thanks to the fund screens will soon light up once more.“
The funding will allow The Regal Theatre in Stowmarket to reopen as a new, fully accessible venue, with its mission statement of ‘making community cinema affordable to the whole community’ being at the front and centre.
The awards announced today, April 2, builds on £2,876,461 already awarded from the Culture Recovery Fund to cinemas in the region.
Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden, said: "Our record breaking Culture Recovery Fund has already helped thousands of culture and heritage organisations across the country survive the biggest crisis they've ever faced.
“Now we’re staying by their side as they prepare to welcome the public back through their doors - helping our cultural gems plan for reopening and thrive in the better times ahead.”