Fundraiser to be honoured
A SUFFOLK fundraiser is to be honoured in recognition of outstanding services to children by HRH The Princess Royal at The Save the Children Awards.Mary Edgerton will receive the award tomorrowWednesday February 2008 after flying the flag of Save the Children in the village of Orford for many years.
A SUFFOLK fundraiser is to be honoured in recognition of outstanding services to children by HRH The Princess Royal at The Save the Children Awards.
Mary Edgerton will receive the award tomorrowWednesday February 2008 after flying the flag of Save the Children in the village of Orford for many years.
She turned a barn in her garden into a vast second-hand book shop and every year thousands of tourists and hundreds of book buying locals visit her.
Over the past 20 years, she has raised almost £100,000 for Save the Children.
George Burroughs, community fundraising executive in the East of England, said: "This would be a tremendous undertaking for anyone - let alone someone in their 90s.
“The sheer physical work involved in moving and sorting 1000's of books each year deserves recognition.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 4 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 5 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 6 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 7 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 8 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
"Mary's determination to support Save the Children is inspiring, she certainly deserves the award for Creativity and Innovation.”
Anyone interested in fundraising for Save the Children can contact George Burroughs on 01449 616475 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.