Funeral announced for Felixstowe priest
FAMILY and friends will tomorrow say farewell to a much-loved Felixstowe priest who died in his church while conducting a funeral service.Mourners will gather at St Felix Roman Catholic Church in Gainsborough Road, Felixstowe, at 2pm for a requiem funeral mass for Father John McNally, to be celebrated by Bishop Michael Evans.
By Richard Cornwell
FAMILY and friends will tomorrow say farewell to a much-loved Felixstowe priest who died in his church while conducting a funeral service.
Mourners will gather at St Felix Roman Catholic Church in Gainsborough Road, Felixstowe, at 2pm for a requiem funeral mass for Father John McNally, to be celebrated by Bishop Michael Evans.
His body will be received today at 4pm and his coffin will be open from reception into the church. A mass will be said at 7pm after which the coffin will be secured.
You may also want to watch:
After the funeral tomorrow, his body will be flown to Ireland, where he will be received into St Rynagh's Church, Banagher, County Offaly, on Friday evening. Committal will take place at midday on Saturday in Banagher Cemetery.
Meanwhile, prayers have been said at churches all over Felixstowe and tributes from across Europe have been paid to Fr McNally by grieving parishioners, friends, family and colleagues, on the Evening Star's on-line Book of Condolence.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
Fr McNally died on March 14 after collapsing while conducting the funeral of 91-year-old Kay Thomson.
In the Book of Condolence, Tony Lazell, of Felixstowe, wrote: “The Catholic community of Felixstowe, and all the other denominations, have lost a very special person. Father John was unique in the way he communicated to all the various groups of people that he came in contact with. The whole of Felixstowe has lost one of its favourite sons.”
Nine-year-old Daniel Smith, of Felixstowe, said: “It really was a shock to hear of his sudden death. I think he had a special place in his heart for everyone and he was very funny.”
Fr McNally, from Tipperary in Ireland, took up the post as parish priest for St Felix and sister church of St Cecilia's, Trimley St Mary, in 1993.
Previously he had served at Brandon and Cambridge. He entered the ministry after a career in accountancy.
Pay your tributes - sign the on-line Book of Condolence at www.eveningstar.co.uk or write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail EveningStarLetters@eveningstar.co.uk