Fury over dumped rubbish
AN Ipswich resident today branded attempts to clear up abandoned rubbish “a complete farce” because dumpers constantly target their road.Householders in Benezet Street had to put up with other people's excess bin bags being left outside their houses for weeks on ends before Ipswich Borough Council finally removed them.
AN Ipswich resident today branded attempts to clear up abandoned rubbish “a complete farce” because dumpers constantly target their road.
Householders in Benezet Street had to put up with other people's excess bin bags being left outside their houses for weeks on ends before Ipswich Borough Council finally removed them.
John Walton, who lives in Bramford Village but is currently renovating a property in Benezet Street, said: “It's a complete farce.
“People dump rubbish in Benezet Street all the time - I have even had people leaving old fridges outside my house.
“The problem is that there are flats nearby and not enough wheelie bins for everyone in the flats so the occupants dump their bin bags in Benezet Street.
“It doesn't help anyone by putting stickers on the bags as the people that left them have already gone back home to their own street.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 5 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 6 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 7 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
- 8 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
- 10 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
“The council came and cleared the area but within an hour more bags had been dumped and then a dog got in one and scattered rubbish all over the road.
“The council need to review the whole situation because the problem is just getting worse.”
The council say they are aware of the problem in Benezet Street and are trying to overcome it.
Christine Knight from Ipswich Borough Council said: “We have ongoing problems in this area with residents from other adjacent streets dumping excess waste in Benezet Street.
“Bags are not cleared immediately because council staff will make investigations with a view to taking legal action.
“Stickers are left on sacks because residents responsible will know that leaving them out in this way is not acceptable.”
Do you have a problem with people dumping rubbish in your street? Do you think the council are tackling the problem properly? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.