Gallery: 10 moments in time for Ipswich Witches
- Credit: Archant
EADT sports writer Mike Bacon takes a look at some happy and not so happy moments in time for the Ipswich Witches
What are your favourite moments in time at Foxhall with the Witches? Leave your comments below.
1998- One of the best Witches teams ever to take to the track?
In 1998 the team consisting of Tony Rickardsson, Tomasz Gollob, Chris Louis, Scott Nicholls, Toni Svab and Savalas Clouting won an unprecedented treble - British League, KO Cup and Craven Shield.
1950 - Packed attendance levels at Foxhall Stadium
You may also want to watch:
The year Foxhall Stadium was purpose-built for speedway. Attendances at peak times at Foxhall approached 20,000 people watching the Witches.
1976 - A double win for the Witches
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 5 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 9 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
The Super Seven Witches win the British League Divsion One title for the second time in the club’s history and double that up with the KO Cup too, a year after winning their first-ever British League One title.
1998 - World speedway champion rides for the Witches
Tony Rickardsson, in 1998, was Ipswich Witches first-ever World speedway champion while riding for the Club.
April 23, 1985 - Tragedy hits Ipswich Witches
The Witches and all their fans are left devastated when star rider Billy Sanders commits suicide just outside Ipswich. He was 29 and had joined the club as a 16-year-old.
1984 - Double success for a second time
On a happier note the year previous, Sanders had been part of a double-winning Witches team that won the League and Cup double.
Thursday, October 16, 2014 - New track record set
Edinburgh’s Craig Cook became the fastest-ever rider around Foxhall, when he lowered the track record down to it’s current 56.3 seconds.
2005 - Dramatic crash for young Pole Miskowiak
Robert Miskowiak had one of the most dramatic crashes an Ipswich Witch has ever been involved in after being flung over the fence at Oxford and crashing back-first on the greyhound track! He got up and won the re-run!!
2000 - A golden time for the Witches
In the year 2000, the Witches celebrated their 50th anniversary, with many ex-riders descending on Foxhall for a fantastic day’s entertainment and nostalgia.
2011 - Premier League Fours success
The Witches entered the Premier League in 2011 and won the Premier League Fours the same year.