Gallery: Charity is the winner as Ipswich hosts big fun run
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of different charities will be better off today after people of all ages enjoyed a charity fun run in Ipswich.
Around 250 people, sponsored by family, friends and work colleagues, signed up to take part in the 5k Big Fun Run event, which involved entrants completing two laps of a circuit taking in some of the best features of the town’s Christchurch Park, and making use of new paths.
With temperatures on Saturday morning having dropped with a slight breeze, it was perfect conditions for those taking part.
The run is one of 18 taking place in town parks across the country this summer and autumn and organisers hope around 7,500 people will join in to get some exercise and raise some cash for a charity close to their heart.
Regional co-ordinator Claire Williams said: “Everyone picks a charity of their own choice to raise money for so there could be dozens of charities being supported at every event.
“The event is not a race, people just have to complete the five miles at their own pace.
“Some people want to know their times but most people just want to enjoy the atmosphere, have some fun and raise money for their charity. We always expect a few people to be walking by the end!”
- 1 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 2 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 3 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 4 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 5 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 6 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 7 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
- 8 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Cyclist injured after colliding with car in busy Ipswich road
Before the run, entrants were put through a warm up by high jumper Rob Mitchell, who was also the MC for the event.
Finishers were presented with a medal, goody bag and refreshments.