Ramp and roll - Memories of 1970s banger racing at Foxhall in Days Gone By
- Credit: Archant
Did you watch banger racing at Foxhall Stadium back in the 1970s?
The Ipswich stadium is known for its rich mix of motorsports action over the years, including bangers.
These have always been a favourite with the crowds as they smash, bash and spin their way around the track.
Our latest nostalgia photo gallery shows a Ramp and Roll competition from 1979.
Drivers took on a strategically positioned ramp in a competition to roll their old bangers the best.
MORE: Stock car racing photos from Foxhall in the 1960sCars that participated were stripped of most of their parts, including headlights and most of the interior except for the driving seat and steering wheel.
You may also want to watch:
As these were old cars not being used on the road any more, drivers would normally spray paint ads for their own businesses or other local companies onto the sides of the car to look like sponsorships that professional racing drivers had.
Do you remember banger racing at Foxhall? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Judy Rimmer, Newsroom, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 1RS.
MORE: Did you ever fly from Ipswich Airport?To order photos, visit archantsuffolk.newsprints.co.uk or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 4 First look at plans for new Ipswich BMX track ahead of big build
- 5 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 6 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 7 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 8 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 10 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL