Gallery: Sound of Music drew crowds in 1967
DID you go along to see Julie Andrews’ smash hit musical at the Gaumont in Ipswich?
Our weekly look at the Evening Star’s photographic archives is moving forward to 1967, when the classic film was a new release and pulling in the crowds.
If this brings back memories for you, drop us a line and we will feature your letters at a future date.
Elsewhere today, our pictures feature police officers with new pocket radios, introduced in January 1967, the mayor of Ipswich visiting a school leavers’ service in the March of that year, a Scouts’ fete at Alexandra Park in June and pupils from Tower Ramparts School digging elderly people’s gardens in November.
Do you recognise yourself in any of the photos?
You may also want to watch:
- Do you remember these events from the Evening Star picture archives? Write with your memories to: Sharon Clark, Photographic Memories, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot