Gallery: Tractor Boys fans get hitched in Ipswich – with a tractor as their carriage
A PAIR of football fans found an unusual way to mark their love of their favourite team on their wedding day.
Robert and Claire Pooley arrived at their reception in true Blue style – on a bright red tractor!
The newly-weds are both big fans of the Tractor Boys and chose the unusual wedding vehicle to take them from Ipswich Register Office to their reception at Ipswich Town.
As a farmer, Ipswich-born Robert, 25, was more than up to the task of driving the Massey Ferguson from the register office in Grimwade Street across town to Portman Road.
The new Mrs Pooley, nee Simpson, 23, said: “It was my mum’s idea, she thought it would be fun.
“It was hard to get the dress in and it was a bit bumpy but it wasn’t too bad – although everyone kept staring at us!”
The idea of travelling by tractor brought together both Robert’s work as a farmer and his life-long passion for the Blues.
- 1 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 5 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 6 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 7 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
- 8 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 9 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 10 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
“Robert’s supported them since he could walk,” Claire said. “He’s a massive fan, he’s got shares and everything.”
Harwich-born Claire has only become a fan of the club since meeting Robert.
Unfortunately they couldn’t get hold of a blue tractor for the occasion.
Claire said: “It was either red or green and yellow and we couldn’t have that!”
The couple first met in 2008. Robert proposed on November 4, 2009 – Claire’s 21st birthday.
Robert is a farmer in Garboldisham, where the pair now live, and Claire is a chef at a tea room in Wortham.
They had their reception in the Sir Bobby Robson Suite at Portman Road with 90 friends and family.
The couple are hoping to travel to Las Vegas in November for their honeymoon.