Gallery: Two-minute Badly Drawn Footballer doodles feature 1994 ITFC Premier League squad
- Credit: Archant
The beautiful game just got even more beautiful.
A 28-year-old football fanatic has taken Blues fans on an amusing trip down memory lane by converting the entire 1994 Ipswich Town squad – as featured in the Merlin 1994 Premier League sticker book – into unforgettable caricatures.
The two-minute doodles, created by Sean Ryan, have caused a stir on social media after being published on his self-deprecating Twitter account “Badly Drawn Footballers”.
“The Town squad was great to draw because there were so many characters with strong looks,” Sean, of Liverpool, explained.
“John Wark’s moustache, Paul Mason’s mischievous grin, three players with massive heads (Phil Whelan, David Linighan and Steve Palmer), Mick Stockwell’s eyebrows and, possibly the best of all, Ian Marshall’s mullet.”
With Mick McCarthy’s Super Blues charging towards the play-offs, with a famous last-minute win on Tuesday night sending Portman Road into delirium, the current Town squad could draw some inspiration from the Premier League side of 20 years ago to finally achieve promotion back to the promised land.
The drawings have already attracted interest from one former Town player.
- 1 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 2 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 3 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 4 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 5 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 6 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 7 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 8 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 9 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 10 New Sports Direct still expected by mid-2022 in Ipswich town centre
“I’ve been completely overwhelmed by the response. I even received a few retweets from some of the featured players, like Ian Marshall, which was great,” Sean added.
He has drawn every single player from the Merlin 1994 Premier League sticker book, explaining it all started when his mum cleared out his old bedroom at his parents’ house.
“In one of the piles were my old sticker books from 1994, 1995 and 1996. I started looking through the 1994 album and there just seemed to be so many of these childhood legends that I had completely forgotten about,” he said.
“So I got home and, for some reason, just started drawing the Arsenal squad, probably taking about 20 seconds on each player. And that was the beginning of it all.”