Gang attack man released from hospital
THE victim of an alleged gang attack has been discharged from hospital after suffering from serious head and arm injuries.
IPSWICH: The victim of an alleged gang attack has been discharged from hospital after suffering from serious head and arm injuries.
Although police have not revealed the identity of the victim who was set upon by a gang in Back Hamlet, he has named locally as Lennox Wright.
The 46-year-old has been in recovering in Ipswich Hospital, in Heath Road, since he was set upon on January 17.
Mr Wright sustained serious injuries, including a large cut to his head and lacerations to his hands, in the incident which is thought to have involved up to six male suspects and an axe.
Last week The Evening Star revealed that Mr Wright's condition was improving and yesterday a spokesman for the hospital confirmed that he had been discharged on Friday. although it is believed he has not returned to his home, which is close to where the attack took place close to the roundabout at the bottom of the hill of Back Hamlet which links with Fore Hamlet, Duke Street and Fore Street.
At least one baseball is thought to have been used during the incident which occurred at around 10.35pm.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 9 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
- 10 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
Emergency services were called to the area with early reports suggesting that a man had been beaten with a bat and attacked with an axe,
When paramedics arrived, Mr Wright was bleeding heavily following the alleged assault outside a flat at the converted GM building.
Although police investigating the incident said they could not confirm an axe had been used, officers have said that believe a form of “edged weapon” may have been used to inflict Mr Wright's wounds.
Police have arrested a 34-year-old man from Ipswich on suspicion of affray and possession of an offensive weapon in connection with the incident. He is due to return to Ipswich Police Station, on March 1.
Anyone with information that may help with the investigation should call Det Sgt Karl Nightingale at Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Do you have a message of support for Mr Wright? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email email@example.com