Gas explosion destroys Colchester home
AN Essex man had a lucky escape today after his house was destroyed by a gas explosion.The explosion happened in Butt Road, Colchester, with part of a front wall being blown away and the roof partially collapsing.
AN Essex man had a lucky escape today after his house was destroyed by a gas explosion.
The explosion happened in Butt Road, Colchester, with part of a front wall being blown away and the roof partially collapsing.
A car parked next to the home was damaged by falling rubble.
A neighbour who witnessed the incident said: "There was a loud bang.
“I looked up to see flames coming out of all the windows and then the front of the house collapsed"
The neighbour and two other witnesses broke down the back door of the property and carried a man inside to safety.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 4 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 5 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 6 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 7 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 8 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 9 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 10 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
The neighbour said: "He was just sitting at the top of the stairs in shock"
The occupant was taken to hospital by ambulance.
His injuries are not thought to be life threatening.
Firefighters used an aerial ladder platform and hose reel jets to extinguish the fire that had broken out in the first floor and roof of the property at around 9.10am.
Station Officer Lee Palfryman said: "Firefighting was made difficult because the structure was so unstable that the end wall of the property was threatening to collapse at any moment.
“We have now extinguished the blaze and have left the property in the care of the local council.”