Genesis transformed into paradise
GENESIS day care centre was transformed into a Jamaican paradise as scores of visitors flocked to Caribbean day.The weather wasn't exactly tropical but traditional food and music made for a convincing replica.
GENESIS day care centre was transformed into a Jamaican paradise as scores of visitors flocked to Caribbean day.
The weather wasn't exactly tropical but traditional food and music made for a convincing replica.
Support workers from Genesis, based in Wright Road, Ipswich, became Caribbean cooks for the day and helped prepare and serve the food.
The event attracted more than 60 visitors from the surrounding area who came to see the day centre's important work in practise.
You may also want to watch:
Guests were wise not to eat too much traditional food though because the limbo pole was waiting.
Steve Cates, senior support worker for the charity, said: “There was lots of dancing involved and the limbo was very popular.
- 1 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 2 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 3 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 4 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 5 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 6 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 7 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 8 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 9 Anger at 'death trap' road in Pinewood
- 10 High winds close Ipswich festival event temporarily
“The main thing was to get the community together, make them aware of what we do and improve what we already have here.”
Genesis provides an essential service for disaffected children and for disabled people and their families. A spacious workshop equipped with a full range of woodworking machines provides skills training for a wide range of abilities.
Next on the Genesis events calendar is a Sunday Funday, from 11am-4pm, on September 14. There will be more Caribbean flavour with a steel band but this time they will be joined by belly dancers. There will also be a barbecue and a disco.
For more information on the work carried out by Genesis, call 01473 723888 or visit www.genesisdaycare.org.uk.