Gardener for cannabis farm worth up to £50k faces deportation
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich man who acted as a gardener for a cannabis farm in a terraced house in the town has been jailed for 21 months.
Police officers who raided the house in Chesterton Close in June this year found 93 cannabis plants and growing equipment including high power light bulbs, transformers, reflective sheeting and a ventilation system, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Peter Clark, prosecuting said that an expert estimated the street value of the plants at between £16,000 and £50,000 and between £10,000 and £30,000 if sold in bulk.
Sentencing 25-year-old Gentian Gjuni, Judge Emma Peters said: “Although it was in a terraced house, it was a significant operation capable of producing significant quantities for commercial use.”
She said it was likely Gjuni would be deported to his home country.
You may also want to watch:
Gjuni, of Chesterton Close, Ipswich, who has no previous convictions, admitted production of cannabis.
Lynne Shirley, for Gjuni, said her client arrived in the UK in February last year as an illegal immigrant on a lorry from Albania in the hope of finding work and having a better life.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
He was promised £500 a month but received nothing.
She said he’d been taken to the house by some Romanian men and was left there to water the plants.