‘Gentle giant’ cyclist sadly missed
SUFFOLK: Grieving friends of a popular cyclist who died suddenly have been paying tribute to the ‘gentle giant’.
Simon Crick, 33, collapsed and died while on a bike ride in Flowton Road, Lower Somersham, last Saturday morning.
Paramedics tried to revive Mr Crick, known as “Big Si,” who had been complaining of chest pains, but he was declared dead at the scene.
John Beaumont, a friend of Mr Crick’s, said: “We can’t believe it. Simon will be sadly missed. He always raised a smile with his sharp wit and larger-than-life presence.
“It’s been a pleasure to have known Big Si and it’s unbelievable we won’t see him again.”
Floral tributes have been left at the spot where Mr Crick died while riding between his home in Princes Gardens to his parents’ house with a friend.
Steve Cotterell, a local resident, described Mr Crick as a “gentle giant,” saying his death had left the community in shock.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 4 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 5 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 6 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 7 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 8 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
Lynn Bowers, who used to be childhood playmates with Mr Crick, said: “I have known Simon and his family for many years. Our thoughts are with your family at this sad time.”
Mr Crick’s family and his partner, Joanne, were too upset to pay tribute.
A funeral will be held at St Mary’s Church, Somersham, on Tuesday, March 9 at 2.30pm.
Floral tributes can be sent to the Chapel of Rest, 54 Cauldwell Hall Road, Ipswich.
Donations to the British Heart Foundation or the East Anglian Air Ambulance can also be sent to Co-operative Funeral Service, 47 St Helen’s Street, Ipswich, IP4 2JL.
nDid you know Big Si? Do you have memories of him you would like to share? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org