George's £3m Town disappointment
FORMER Ipswich Town boss George Burley today expressed his shock at their on-going cash crisis but insisted: "I'm not bitter – and I still love the club." The ex-Blues manager, now in charge at Derby County, is believed to stand to lose around £3million through Town's five per cent to creditors.
By Mel Henderson
FORMER Ipswich Town boss George Burley today expressed his shock at their on-going cash crisis but insisted: "I'm not bitter – and I still love the club."
Burley, axed just ten games into the First Division campaign, is one of the biggest victims of the club's financial collapse.
After he was sacked in October, he was told he would continue to receive his salary, but Town pulled the plug at the end of the year as they fought in vain to meet a string of major debts.
You may also want to watch:
Although he will have to bear a massive loss, rumoured to be more than £3million, there was not the merest hint of rancour in Burley's voice.
He said: "I am not going to comment on how much I am going to lose. I don't want to discuss figures.
- 1 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 2 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 5 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 6 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 7 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 8 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 9 Ed Sheeran to end break from music with performance at Big Weekend
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
"I have three and a half years of my contract that is not going to be honoured and that is disappointing to say the least.
"As far as I can see my hands are tied and there is not really much I can do about it."
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR