George's sad demise
JUST over a year ago Ipswich finished fifth in the FA Premiership and their manager George Burley was crowned as the league's Manager of the Year.Today's news of George Burley's sacking completes a dramatic fall from those heady days.
JUST over a year ago Ipswich finished fifth in the FA Premiership and their manager George Burley was crowned as the league's Manager of the Year.
Today's news of George Burley's sacking completes a dramatic fall from those heady days.
May 19 2001 – Ipswich draw 1-1 with Derby County at Pride Park to finish the season in a remarkable 5th position in their first season in the FA Premier League.
June 2001 – Richard Wright is sold to Arsenal. Many fans said claim that the goalkeeping position at Ipswich Town was never properly solved after this point. This was closely followed by the sale of James Scowcroft, another fans favourite and a local lad.
December 17 2001 – Ipswich are languishing at the foot of the table following a defeat by Aston Villa. It capped a disappointing start to the season for Ipswich, who had just been knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Inter Milan.
February 9 2002 – Following early signs of recovery – Ipswich won five out of six league matches – Ipswich are beaten 6-0 at home by Liverpool. They would go on to win only one out of the 12 remaining league matches.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 8 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 9 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
- 10 Inquest into death of 32-year-old woman in Barham crash postponed
April 6 2002 – Ipswich are beaten 4-1 in a crucial relegation six-pointer away to Bolton. Relegation now looks a certainty.
May 11 2001 – Ipswich are beaten 5-0 away to Liverpool – sending them into Division One.
August 26 2002 – Ipswich begin their campaign with two convincing wins but are beaten at home 2-1 by lowly Bradford for their first defeat of the season.
August 2002 – Ipswich Town players are asked to take a temporary pay cut to ease the club's financial problems.
September 22 2002 – Ipswich suffer a shock 2-1 loss away to Stoke City. Burley questions the commitment of his players in the first half.
Tuesday October 8 – Ipswich lose 3-0 away to second-bottom Grimsby. The match proves to be Burley's last in charge of Ipswich.