Girl saved as fire rips through bedroom
A TEENAGE girl had a lucky escape when she was rescued from her blazing bedroom today.Fire took hold in the bungalow in Broad Road, Wickham Market, at about 3.50am.
A TEENAGE girl had a lucky escape when she was rescued from her blazing bedroom today.
Fire took hold in the bungalow in Broad Road, Wickham Market, at about 3.50am.
Five people were in the house at the time but all managed to get out without injury.
Andy Nunn, assistant divisional officer with Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said it was believed the fire was started accidentally by a candle.
You may also want to watch:
He said the girl inside the bedroom at the time was fortunate to escape the blaze after someone still up in the living room smelled smoke and raised the alarm.
“It was lucky somebody in the lounge went into the room and woke her up and got her out.” He said.
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 4 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 5 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 6 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 7 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 8 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 9 Ipswich man saves father-in-law after cardiac arrest at beach day-out
- 10 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
“The house had smoke detectors but obviously they tend to be in corridors of a house so they usually don't go off and wake people up before the fire leaves the room of origin.
“It is then often too late for anyone in the room of origin.
“On this occasion the person is very lucky.”
The landlord of the property, who did not wish to be named, said the damage will cost “tens of thousands” to repair.
Three fire crews went to the scene and found the room “well alight”.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus brought the flames under control by 5.03am.
Nr Nunn said work to cut away damaged sections of roof had to take place after the fire was extinguished.
He said: “The fire destroyed the bedroom and some of the roof structure and completely smoke-logged the building.”
Did you witness the fire? Have you had a lucky escape? Contact The Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324788 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.