Good time to stop for pint
AN ANCIENT cottage dating back 500 years was saved from being burnt to the ground when a pub-goer spotted the fire.A villager from Whatfield, near Hadleigh, saw the blaze in the roof of the cottage and fire crews were quickly alerted to stop it from spreading yesterday.
AN ANCIENT cottage dating back 500 years was saved from being burnt to the ground when a pub-goer spotted the fire.
A villager from Whatfield, near Hadleigh, saw the blaze in the roof of the cottage and fire crews were quickly alerted to stop it from spreading yesterday.
The fire started at the property in Whatfield Road, Naughton, and was seen by a drinker in the Wheelhouse pub next door.
Angela Allen, cottage owner, praised both the drinker and the fire crews who attended the blaze at 2.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Allen said: ''I was not in the property at the time - I was only gone about half an hour. The firemen have done an excellent job, they have done very well indeed."
She has lived in the cottage which is believed to be about 500 years old, for eight years.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 3 Police identify man in CCTV images after 'spitting' incident
- 4 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 5 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 6 Felixstowe man found with child porn given suspended sentence
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 9 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 10 South African man jailed for stalking wife in Suffolk after they separated
Fire crews from Needham Market and Hadleigh teamed up with two crews from the Princes Street station in Ipswich to tackle the blaze. They say the fire is believed to have started from the stove flue.
Paul Seager, assistant divisional officer, said: ''It looks like the fire has come from the solid fuel wood-burning stove. It appears there was a break down in the flue and hot smoke and gases have come up and ignited the thatch.
''There was nobody in the house at the time and luckily somebody in the pub noticed it. They called us and we were able to arrive before the roof was fully alight. We have taken off about 15 to 20 per cent of the roof to get back to clean straw.''