Search

Grandmother's anguish over fire death

PUBLISHED: 11:30 06 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:52 03 March 2010

A GRIEVING Suffolk grandmother today joined forces with firefighters in bid to avoid further tragedy after the second death involving portable electric fires this year.

A GRIEVING Suffolk grandmother today joined forces with firefighters in bid to avoid further tragedy after the second death involving portable electric fires this year.

Hardly able to fight back the tears Jacinta Fox spoke out after an investigation indicated 98-year-old Ivy Orriss died as a result of sitting too close to a two bar portable heater.

The death of the pensioner, who lived just three streets away from Anton Fox's Marlow Road home in Ipswich, bears a chilling similarity to the way in which the seven-year-old lost his life five months ago.

Investigations by the fire service have revealed that her clothes or her chair almost certainly caught fire because she was sitting too close to a two bar portable electric heater.

More follows…


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star